Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Avoidance

Has it really been 2 months?

No matter.

Have you heard about the flood that happened upon Atlanta in September? Thankfully it only affected one long commute home. Adding only 1 hour and 15 minutes to my normal hour-long drive. I even got to drive through rushing water. It wasn't scary. There was a cop and tow truck standing by. But I wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid such things.

However, I am not an expert on flood driving, so that conversation topic shall cease immediately.

Moving On...

What I am an expert on is NOT changing lanes unnecessarily.

Don't get me wrong. If I am traveling on the highway using cruise control and behold, I find myself behind a slow driver while driving in the right lane, then sure enough, I will put on my left blinker and change lanes twice to avoid turning off my cruise control. To be sure.

However, if instead I am traveling to work at an average speed of 40 MPH, an average distance of 6 feet from a vehicle on all sides at all times, I will avoid changing lanes as much as possible.

Here is why:

a) The person to my diagonal front right is not going any faster than the person directly in front of me.
b) If he is, he will not be for long.
c) There is almost never a space available in which to change lanes.
d) Old people are everywhere at 6 am and 4 pm. No lie.

Changing lanes in this type of scenario will not get me farther faster, but it will get me angrier sooner. As I already must separate my clenched teeth with a crowbar upon exiting my vehicle twice each day, I shall avoid any unnecessary extra stress at. all. costs.

Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment