Thursday, July 30, 2009

Share the Road

Bicycles. I like them. They're fun and they can be romantic (I think).

My husband prefers mountian bikes. I think I would too...if I rode a bike.

Implicitly (actually it was rather explicit), I don't. I have a road bike that my brother found for me at a yard sale. He said, "Don't do anything with this until you get a tune up done at a bike shop." I haven't done anything with it...at all.

Road bikes are scary. It means you have to ride your bike on or very close to moving cars. They are also scary for drivers. I am always afraid of hitting a cyclist, no matter how far into the other lane I go to pass one.

Ok.

Did you enjoy I Bike Babble? Actually, I have direction here. I was recently behind a truck that had one of those 'Share the Road' license plates. He also had some surveying equipment set up in his truck bed. I thought to myself how weird that was---a tripod standing upright in the back of a moving truck. I used to work for an engineering company, and I don't remember them doing it that way...

I should probably insert here that I have very poor depth perception.

It was a bike. Sigh.

Anyhow, this man drove like a maniac. I thought to myself, would he drive that way if bicycles were around? He was weaving, speeding, using unnecessary blinkerage, not using necessary blinkerage (once again, English majors can make up words). Yes, he was quite a maniac indeed.

So, am I supposed to share the road with people like him? Or just when he's on his bike? Or neither if he's driving that way?

Seriously, being a non-cyclist, I find it hard to honor the request of a man who drives so...um...unsharingly.

Told you. English Major.

No comments:

Post a Comment